Thursday, March 1, 2007

The little girl who cried "Wolf!"


Today, as Piper was on the floor screaming as if her finger fell off (it hadn't), I was reminded of a moment in my childhood. I was (I think) in first grade. I had decided that I needed a day off of school. So I told my mom that I didn't feel well. She looked at me for a long moment and then said "Ok, I'll call school." A little later that day, after much TV and babying by Mom, she sat down next to me and asked "Have you ever heard the story of the boy cried wolf?" I settled in next to her and prepared to hear an exciting tale.


When she finished the "tale" I had that rock in my gut that you get when you realize you disappointed your mother. She gave me her trust and never mentioned that she thought I may be full of it. She knew that earning my respect required her respect of me. She was smart, my mom. Still is, actually.


So thanks for the lesson Mom. I learned a lesson then, and I'm learning a different one now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't know tht you would remember such a thing! Piper is a lucky little girl...And one day you will be the lucky mom who is told such a story.
I love you both,
Mom

PS
I hope the finger is better now:))

-T. said...

LOL - one time, after a particularly brutal experience with alcohol Mom let me think for a second that she actually believed me that I just "had the flu"...until she turned on the TV in my room to some show about alcohol abuse...yah...then she left the room..and let me watch the show..and draw my own conclusions. I had a rock in my stomach...and not much else. Proud of your crazy Aunt T yet, Piper?