Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Mama!


For some reason, I had it in my head that my birthday was going to be nothing special this year. I prepared myself for it a few days ahead of time. Life is just so busy right now and everyone seems overloaded with their own crazy lives. So I was not expecting much. Then, I had bookclub (aka "wine club") two nights before my birthday. I can't remember if I've mentioned my bookclub before. But it is an amazing group of women. We come together every month (or 6 weeks, sometimes 8 weeks when life gets REALLY crazy) and laugh, cry, eat, drink, be merry, OH! and talk about books. We are a group with varied interests, in different places in our lives, and we all respect our differences and embrace them, which is why it is such a magical group. That night, out of nowhere, they produce a sunflower (my favorite flower) cupcake with a candle and sing "Happy Birthday" to me. I was SO touched. It was so unexpected and welcomed.

Then the morning of my birthday arrived. It was a Monday, one of the days I work. I woke Piper up to bring her to her Grandparents for the day and told her it was my birthday. She just lit up like a birthday cake candle and got SO excited. "When's your party? Are we going to have cake? What am I giving you? What are you going to wear? What am I going to wear? Can I wear my Pink-Dress-That-You-Fixed?" (I sewed a hole - Holly Homemaker I am NOT). Her excitement was rather contagious.

Then I dropped her off and my father in law forgot to wish me a Happy Birthday. (I forgive you!!!) Then I got to work and no one remembered it was my birthday. Then I got grumpy. Really grumpy. (Is it just me, or is there something about birthdays that make you extra sensative?) Then....

Throughout the day I got voicemails, emails, facebook posts, phone calls and texts from all those I love. I mean - like EVERYONE. Then Brooks stopped by work to give me a birthday kiss. Despite my apparent determination to make this birthday suck, it was turning out pretty well. Then I got home and Brooks's parents were there, there was my favorite pizza in the oven, cards from everyone and a cake made by Piper (with a little help from Grandma). Piper had her friend MacKenzie over and wa-LA. Birthday party for grumpy little Mia. And can I just tell you that there is nothing like a 3-going-on-4 year old's excitement about a birthday party and cake to make you smile despite yourself.

So, yes, birthdays - for me, anyway- have the potetial to make you feel really sensitive and disappointed. But they also have the power to make you feel so loved, appreciated, missed and special. That's how this one turned out this year. I'm so grateful to have turned another year. Thank you all who make my life something special. I am so truly blessed.

1 comment:

WonderousWomanRetreat said...

Dear Mama Mia,

Consider joining us for our Wonderous Woman Retreat if:

* You are overwhelmed and exhausted with day-to-day pressures in all the roles you play
* You wish you could find harmony among the demands of your career, family, relationships, and financial freedom
* You have dreams but have put them on the back burner because there is no time or money to invest in them
* You want to know your purpose and live life abundantly
* You would love to experience some quiet time just for you
* You love to be pampered and treated like royalty

If any or this resonates with you, join us at the beautiful Fairmont Scottsdale Spa Resort on August 13-15
for our Wonderous Woman retreat.

It’s easy to take care of everyone else in our lives,
but we tend to forget about ourselves.